For anyone who has ever been intimidated to make scones or hasn't ever even thought to giv'em a try... this rosemary lemon scone recipe is for you because it's EASY and requires almost zero brain activity.
We're using a lemon cake mix people! Let others do the work when possible mama.
Scones give the appearance of being fancy. If you make scones, you must be a pro, have extra free time, or be from England.
Not in this case!
You don't have to be an experienced baker to knock these lemony breakfast beauties out of the park. The major mixing of ingredients is already done for you because we're dumping in cake mix and winning at life today.
Yup, that lemon rosemary combo is the best ever. It's absolutely one of my most favorite flavor marriages on the planet!
I made these for my friends baby shower and all the mamas loved them. It made me feel wonderful to see them so impressed... and the scones were so easy and quick to make!
The most important thing to know about making scones is how you combine the butter into the dry mixture.
Take your cold stick of butter and cut it up into little 1/2 inch cubes before you add to the dry mixture. This is what gives the scones their crumbly texture. You will keep cutting into the butter as you're combining with the dry mixture until you have little crumbles of covered butter. I have a pastry blender tool (google it) but I've also mixed the butter wolverine style with a couple of butter knives in my hand. It may seem weird for newbies but trust the process.
You know you have that box of lemon cake mix buried in your cabinet... whip it out and give these a try.
Oh, and if you can't be bothered with making the glaze?... No problemo! They are amaze without the glaze ;)
See???? xx Becky
1 1/2 cups lemon cake mix
1 cup flour
1 stick butter, cubed
3 Tablespoons milk (I've also used heavy cream or half n half)
Juice from half a lemon
2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped (totally up to you how strong you want the rosemary. That's what I did but don't go nuts measuring... somewhere between 2 and 3 tablespoons is fine).
1 cup confectioner's sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice, or as necessary for consistency
Zest of half a lemon
For the Scones:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Mix together cake mix and flour
3. Cut in the butter and mix until soft crumbles start to form
4. Mix in remaining egg, milk, lemon juice, and rosemary
5. Take dough and place on wax paper or floured surface. Using your hands, push dough down and form a square. The dough should be about 3/4 inch thick. We're not looking for perfection here... scones are lumpy.
6. Cut dough into about 16 triangles and place on a greased pan a few inches apart.
7 . Bake about 25 minutes or until scones edges are golden. Place on a cooling rack
For the Glaze:
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk the lemon juice into the confectioners sugar.
2. Once scones have cooled, spoon the glaze on top of the scones.
3. Finish by sprinkling the lemon zest on top of glazed scones.